Guilty Pleasures

The 80:20 rule is a good one because the 20 keeps you sane. It lets you have that little break to indulge in guilty pleasures and works wonderfully as long as you know when to rein it in.

One of my guilty pleasures, that I am almost ashamed to admit for soooo many reasons, is the chai tea lattes at Starbucks.  Yes I said it…Starbucks!”. I cringe to admit it. It is one of the most unhealthy drinks around town. Thankfully you can find them in most towns.

I am one of those people I use to loathe with their fancy customized orders…”I’ll have a grandé Chai Tea Latte, extra extra hot with almond milk please”. I use to have regular milk but substituting with almond milk makes me feel better even though I know it really does not make it any less unhealthy. But it is so very yummy.

According to Starbucks Canada nutrition data a grande chai tea latte with regular whole milk (there was no info for the almond milk version), has 270 calories and 45 grams of carbs of which a whopping 42 grams is sugar. 

Now the Starbucks Chai Tea Latte does not happen on it’s own.  It’s rarely ever a take-out event. I love having long conversations with my friend Susan sipping my latte, sometimes with a blueberry muffin or a blueberry scone. Yes, more unhealthiness.

Blueberry Muffin: 380 calories, 18 grams of fat, 51 grams of carbs, 28 grams sugar

Blueberry Scone: 390 calories, 15 grams of fat, 57 grams of carbs, 19 grams sugar

Source:, 05/01/2017

ChaptersIf Susan isn’t around I find a Starbucks in a Chapters/Indigo store and browse the magazines and books. There is something utterly delightful about reading the magazines without having to pay for them. I often browse around the store, unhealthy chai tea latte in hand, and read the back cover blurbs of books. I’ve even read an entire book for free there. I just noted the last page I read and picked up where I left off the next time I went. If you think about it it’s better than a library. The book is always available regardless of location. Seating is not so abundant as it is in a library but the ground with a wall to lean on works just as well. It is one of the most pleasurable relaxing things to do.


Your life needs to be healthy. You need to wholeheartedly engage in activity, eating healthy and living clean. But it does not have to be done in isolation of all things that may not fall within those lines. In this instance balance is not what you aim for. Tow the line 80% of the time. The other 20% is for your guilty pleasures…


Live Healthy, Be Happy!

Have questions? Comment below and I’ll answer them!

I’m always checking my blog for new comments…

So if you have suggestions or would like more information, feel free to comment and I’ll answer as soon as possible.

Comment below now!

Subscribe To My Newsletter To Get Instant Access To Your FREE 5 Day Sample Diet Recipe Pack


Who doesn't want FREE recipes....


Especially when you're interested in trying out a new diet but not quite ready to commit for the long-term.


5 days of recipes for 5 different diets all ready for you to try. That's 18 free recipes!

Low-Carb, High-Protein, High-Fat, Low-Carb-Moderate-Fat and Vegetarian

Recipes for healthy TREATS included!

Success! Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription